Stone Church was organized by Scottish settlers in 1810 as a congregation of the Associate Reformed Church. Stone Church in 1858 joined with other Presbyterian churches to form the United Presbyterian Church of North America. In 1958, the United Presbyterian Church NA united with the Presbyterian Church in the USA to become the United Presbyterian Church USA. In 1983 the Southern and Northern Presbyterian churches, which had devided at the time of the Civil War, reunited to become the present Presbyterian Church USA.
Unfortunatly, records do not indicate where the first members met for worship. However, it is known that later the congregation met in a log church.
In 1816, a church was built on the present site. A fire completly destroyed that structure in 1833. Within the same year the present stone building was constructed. The organ was added in the 1880's.
Work was begun in 1958 on Friendship Hall. This addition was dedicated in May 1959. This unit contains classrooms, a social hall and a fully equipped kitchen. The pastor's study, church lounge, and church office are also located in this addition. The original steeple was removed in the 1960's and never contained a bell.
In 1996, a handicap accessible ramp and gathering area were added to the front of the church.
The most recent sanctuary renovation occurred in 1998. New paint with glazing and gilding accentuated the beauty of the metal ceiling and the columns and arches at the front of the church. All of the woodwork was refinished and new carpeting completed this remodeling.
In 2010, an elevator was added in the back of the library to allow handicap access to Friendship Hall social areas.
Even though the name and structure of Stone Church have changed, the tradition of being a warm and friendly family of faith continues. Stone Church remains committed to the worship of the Lord our God and to the service of our community and the world in Christ's name.
In 1898, the structure at the rear of the church was built from stone taken from a dismantled house on Flint Hill Road. Named Irving Chapel, the addition became the kitchen and dining area. Today, part of this area houses the library.
The interior of Stone Church has seen many changes. The pulpit was originally located at the north end of the church. The floors lacked carpeting and the pews did not have cushions. A balcony went around the church on three sides. The windows contained colored glass. In the early 1900's, stained glass windows, each representing a Psalm from the Bible, replaced these windows. The church was remodeled and colonial pews were installed in 1919.