History‎ > ‎

Historical Timeline

UNITED PRESBYTERIAN STONE CHURCH TIME LINE

1798 - First families immigrated from Perthshire, Scotland to America; settled in Johnstown, NY. (Fulton County)

March 1799 - First settlers (Highlanders) settled at Big Springs on 3000 acres of Pultney Estate (20 families)

Nov. 1802 - Caledonia Presbyterian Religious Society formed in order to transfer land

1804 - Lowlanders from Inverness, Scotland settled south on 40,000 acres of Holland Land

March 1805 - First meeting house built of log in Mumford - first church met there

Aug. 1808 - Rev. DeNoon ordained as pastor - some objected, brought concerns to Presbytery of Saratoga

Oct. 7, 1809 - Notice posted on door of church forbidding "outsiders" from entering church (only Pultney people allowed)

Oct. 1810 - Associated Reformed Church formed on the 4th Sunday in October

1812 - Church built in York (Associated Reformed Presbyterian Church of York) shared session & pastor at 1/4 salary

Nov. 1813 - Rev. John Campbell called as first pastor (died in 1817) - congregation extends 20 miles

Dec. 1818 - Formed First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Society of Caledonia. (Caledonia Presbytery)

1819 - Larger church built on land donated by John McKay; sale of seats to highest bidder

1823 - Dispute over original Pultney gift of land settled by equal division of donated land

Jan. 1833 - Fire destroyed church

Nov. 1833 - Stone Church built; stone came from quarry on Wall St.(Quarry Rd.) owned by John Christie -  Galleries on the north and east and west; high pulpit on the south end

Jan. 1852 - Beulah Church started from 20 families from Stone Church - shared pastor, Rev. Donald McLaren

1853 - Parsonage of the Stone Church was on East Avenue (Roy McNaughton house) 3222 East Avenue

1858 - Union of the Associate Reformed Church, the Associate Church and the Presbyterian Church - became the United Presbyterian Church, USA

May 1869 - Mumford United Presbyterian Church started, shared pastor with Beulah U.P. Church

1871 - Sabbath School organized

1874 – Church interior remodeled moving pulpit to the north, 2 aisles

1878 - First organ introduced into worship - no cantor could be found. (Stone was the first church in the denomination to have an organ)

1898 - Irvin Chapel completed and dedicated - used as kitchen and dining room (stone from Walter Irvin –  now Wehle farm)

1901 - Pipe organ purchased (first installed in Andrews Street Baptist church in Rochester in 1875)

1906 - New parsonage built next to the church

1918 - Electric lights installed

1919-1920 - Addition above Irvin Chapel for S.S. rooms; interior of church remodeled (modeled after the Old South Church, Boston); stained glass windows installed (Haskins Glass Co., Rochester)

1952 - Pipes of the organ hand-painted by Laura Foote and Lucille Jones

1959 - Friendship Hall built and dedicated - office and Sunday School rooms upstairs, fellowship hall and kitchen downstairs

1966 - Church formally incorporated as the United Presbyterian Stone Church of Caledonia

1983 - The United Presbyterian Church, USA joined with the Presbyterian Church, US to become the Presbyterian Church (USA)

1996 - Handicap accessible ramp and welcoming patio

1997- 1998 - Church redecoration, painting, gold inlaid on ceiling and pillars

1999 - Manse rehabilitation - insulation and re-surfacing of the 2nd floor

2000 - Manse remodeling and redecorating - new bathroom downstairs, new carpet, linoleum, and paint.

2009 – Memory garden
2010 – Elevator Installed
Comments